This sculpture took me very long time to complete. Initially it was a huge very rotten piece of maple wood in my friend's fire pile.
I saw some potentials. I took it home, pressure washed it, and started to carve it. The process took me a very long time. I tried to put in this piece a lot of different ideas, forms, space perceptions and visual effects. Different textures and colors gave this piece a certain mood.
Making this piece carried me through a
very difficult personal time.
Initial. When I got it to my backyard
Bark is peeling out with pressure washer
Cleaning iside out
Trying to establish space inside
Got it in the shop
Still a lot of stuff to remove
Getting some ideas
Trying to preserve bark and defining the edge
Making dynamic forms
Trying to separate upper level and show the burl
This position looks intresting
View from above
Details are very impotant
Still a lot of carving to do